Wednesday 23 January 2013

Update #1 - New BluRays And My Rating System!

*Please note that as of April 2014, the rating system that I describe in this update is no longer in use. An in-depth explanation as to why this is the case can be found here.*

So, now that I've done my first few actual movie reviews, i thought I'd made an update on my thoughts so far. I've enjoyed writing the first two entries immensely, and i honestly can't wait to write the next one. Of cause these first attempts at writing reviews aren't perfect in any way, shape or form, but i hope to get much better as time goes by. Rereading and spell checking has proved to be much more time consuming than writing the actual blog, but i didn't expect it to be any other way, seeing as English isn't my first language. Apart from spell checking, i also like to spend some time searching for a nice picture and a fitting quote for each review, because i feel like it adds some professionalism to the finished product. It also took a good deal of time to figure out how to configure text fonts and text sizes, but I'm happy with how it's turned out so far.


With the boring part out of the way, id like talk a little bit about the near future of my blog. Above you'll see a picture of the newest batch of BluRays i'we bought, and i plan to review most of them at some point. Se7en will be next, but i'm not entirely sure what will came after that. Probably Memento, but it might end up being Gladiator, The Matrix or American Beauty instead. Reviews for all those movies will be up in time, thought. 

In relation to my rating system, i wanted to come up with something new. Rating a movie with stars seem a little boring and old fashioned to me. I'm still gonna rate the movies i put up for review, just a little differently. Therefore i'm gonna put the movies in to one of the six following categories, insted of grading them with stars. this way i still give an indication as to what i feel about the movie, and at the same time it won't feel as though im taking myself too seriously, acting like a proper movie critique and such. The categories are as follows: 

1. Movie Magic
- This is my hightest rating. Movies that recieve this rating will be the ones I find to be extremely entertaining and captivating, the cream of the crop. A good movie to me is one that takes you on an emotional journey, and the ones that do this flawlessly, will achieve this rating. 

2. Worth Buying on BluRay
- This one kinda speaks for it self. If a movie is so entertaining, enjoyable or funny that i wouldn't mind spending money to rewatch it, it'll get this rating. The movie won't be a firework of pure awesomeness, but still a very good time nonetheless, even if it has a few flaws. 

3. Gets My Seal of Approval
- This rating will go to movies that i find enjoyable to the point where i would recommend other people to watch it. It'll have some flaws and drawbacks, but not too many. If I stumbled upon a movie from this category while zapping through channels, I'd probably watch it. 

4. Worth the Watch
- Movies that i find to be semi decent, but then again not too good either, will get this rating. If i feel like I wasn't wasting my time watching something, this is where it goes. I probably won't watch a movie from this category again, if given the opportunity. 

5. Made me Facepalm
- This rating will be given to bad movies, movies I found to be either boring or incoherent, poorly put together and/or badly acted. A movie from this category will have a few sparks of potential or maybe even some entertaining scenes here and there, but will still be a bad movie all in all.

6. An Eyegouger
- This one speaks for itself. This is the category where the worst of the bad movies end up, movies that truly made me wanna gouge my eyes out while I was watching them. If given this rating, a movie won't have a shred of anything positive or entertaining to it, but will simply be rotten to the core. 

So there you go, my first official update. The rating system took a long time to come up with, but I'm happy with how it turned out. I look forward to begin writing my next reviews, even though the laptop I'm stuck with currently is giving me a really bad time. I'll have to replace it soon. 

/Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment