Friday 18 July 2014

Lawrence Uncut: Behind the Scenes of PTA's Magnolia


A true Paul Thomas Anderson fanboy:
As readers of my Magnolia film review will know (review here), Paul Thomas Anderson is one of my most cherished film directors at the moment. The fact that he wrote and directed three films before his 31th birthday, including such titles as Boogie Nights and the beforementioned Magnolia, is simultaneously the most scary and most inspiring thing in the world to me. Most directors would be more than happy to make just one film that is even half as important as either of those two movies, but PTA just keeps on creating one mesmerising masterpiece after the other, as if being the best filmmaker of his generation is no big deal at all. His upcoming film Inherent Vice starring Jauquin Phoenix has been my most anticipated movie of 2014 ever since it was announced, and although David Fincher's Gone Girl looks pretty great as well, I really hope that Inherent Vice ends up shining brighter than any other film come awards season.

That moment: 
Being my favourite film of his, I decided to look around for some Magnolia interviews and BTS clips last night, and came across the incredible documentary that you see above. I found that watching P.T Anderson doing his thing on set and at productions meetings was a very inspiring and entertaining experience, and the enthusiasm and emotion that he put into his work with his actors and his crew told the story of a man who truly loves his job and feels very passionate about his craft. I would highly recommend anyone who has not seen it yet to check out this documentary as soon as possible, because even if you do not love PTA's films as much as I do, it works brilliantly as a behind the scenes-look on how movies go from pre-production to shooting and editing before landing in out theaters. It also features a few hilarious and heartwarming conversations between Paul and Phillip Seymour Hoffmann, who was one of his favourite collaborators before his untimely death earlier this year. R.I.P. 

Bonus: My 100 % subjective ranking of PTA's currently released films: 
6: Punch Drunk Love
5: Sydney 
4: There Will Be Blood
3: The Master (review here)
2: Boogie Nights
1: Magnolia (review here)

No comments:

Post a Comment